Completing the Daggerboard Trunk

Posted by Zachary Wiest in Epoxy, Sanding, Tools

Two days ago I sanded down two coats of epoxy that I had put on the interior faces of the daggerboard trunk.  I did this because I wanted to see what is like to sand unthickened epoxy prior to doing it somewhere that matters.  It sure does produce a lot of dust!  I think when it comes time to sand the hull I will have to move the boat outside, even with the vacuum attached to the sander.  When I finished sanding I put one more final coat of epoxy of the interior faces.

Yesterday the epoxy was all cured so I assembled the daggerboard trunk using silica thickened epoxy to glue it today.  This was a pretty quick and easy chore.  I clamped it an waited for it to cure.

Today I removed the excess wood from the daggerboard trunk spacers.  The Japanese saw and a hand sanding block made quick work of this.  When it was finished, I dry fitted it in the boat.

Time Spent: 1.5 Hours

Total Time In Build: 17.5 Hours

Leave a Reply

the rank way