Currently browsing Electrical Category

Page 1 of 1

Test Assembling / Installing the Rudder

Posted by Zachary Wiest in Electrical, Modifications

It has been ages since I posted, and I am sorry for that.  I was out of the country again and then had a bunch of guys come through for 5 days.  Anyways, I am back to work on the Skerry.  I test assembled the rudder and took some pictures so that you could see my modifications to allow for the trolling motor.  Once I put the other side on I side, “heck, why not try to hang this thing on the hull.”  Aligning the gudgeons and pintles is a daunting task.  I spent over 90 minutes trying to get it right.  It is isn’t perfect, but this isn’t the final install.  I just wanted to get an idea for how it will all go.

Time Spent: 2.0 Hours

Total Time In Build: 135.5 Hours

Instrument Panel and Rudder Work

Posted by Zachary Wiest in Decisions, Electrical, Epoxy, Modifications, Sanding, Tools

I have worked on the Skerry over the last few days but neglected to make post about my progress.   This post will hopefully highlight the things I did.

1) Cut some wooden blocks to mount under the seats at the forward and aft frame.  This blocks will be screwed to the frames and hull.  I will install u-bolts through them to allow the boat to be lifted at four point.  I plan to lift the boat out of the water using a davit on my dock.

2) I epoxied the center seat, waited for it to dry, then sanded all the seats.  They are ready for installation in the hull.

3) I prepared the rudder yoke by sanding, drilling out the tiller connection hole and filling with thickened epoxy, and covered the yoke with epoxy.

4) The rudder half that was fitted for the spacers in my last post was routed to allow for the motor cabling to pass through it.  The rudder yoke also has a channel on its underside for the cabling to run to the tiller.

5) I started building the tiller connection / speed control.  The speed control mechanism is directly from the minn-kota trolling motor.  It has 2 wires that run to the battery and 4 that run to the motor.  I connected the wires to it and covered the connections with liquid electrical tape.  Next, I built a small piece of wood, drilled a hole in it, and filled it with thickened epoxy.  This will then be re-drilled along with the yoke to form the connection to the rudder.  The wood piece was connected to the speed mechanism with lots of thickened epoxy.  This will soon be built up and faired with microballoon thickened epoxy.

6) I opened up the instrument panel that I built a few days ago for all the components.  They include a power switch, radio with usb connection, battery meter, on-board charger inlet, and cigarette lighter style power adapter.  Neat plastic latches that will allow the panel to clip into place are also installed.  After I made sure everything fit, I started coating the panel with epoxy.

7) I built a second blank instrument panel for use without all the electrical components.  This was made so that I can remove the battery and all the electronics to use the boat when I don’t want all the extras.  This panel was made by tracing the existing panel onto the original seat which I no longer have a use for.

8) I coated the rudder and dagger board with Interlux Pre-Kote Marine Primer.

Unfortunately I don’t have pictures off all this stuff, but you should get a pretty good idea of what I did by reading.

Time Spent: 6.5 Hours

Total Time In Build: 133.0 Hours

Fiberglassing Skerry Interior

Posted by Zachary Wiest in Electrical, Epoxy, Fiberglass

I am pooped!  I just spent 7 straight hours on the Skerry.  I began the day by taping off the seam between the bottom panel and the #1 panel on the inside of the hull.  Next, I laid the speaker wire which will run from the center to forward frame in the lap joint.  All of the laps and seams throughout the boat will get fillets of epoxy thickened with wood flour, and the fillet I taped off is the only one that needs to be below the fiberglass. The speaker wire will run under this fillet.  I filled a ziploc bag with epoxy for an easy application.  I used it like a pastry bag by cutting a hole in one corner.

While the fillets sat for a little, I cut fiberglass cloth to fit the interior of the hull.  The manual only calls for covering the bottom and #1 panels.  After the fiberglass was cut, I smoothed my fillets with a gloved, denatured alcohol soaked finger.  The fiberglass went in next and unthickened epoxy was poured on top and spread with a plastic squeegee.  After about an hour of drying time, excess fiberglass was cut out with a razor blade.

It was a long day, and now I am at work for a midnight flight, but when I get home I have to put on another coat of unthickened epoxy to fill the fiberglass weave.

Time Spent: 7.0 Hours

Total Time In Build: 110.5 Hours

Electrical System Test

Posted by Zachary Wiest in Electrical, Modifications

Since my Skerry will have an option to hang the trolling motor / rudder off the stern, it has to have some sort of electrical system.  I put a video together detailing exactly what I plan to do with the build.

[vimeo http://vimeo.com/43231540 w=500&h=285]

Time Spent: 2.0 Hours

Total Time In Build: 94.0 Hours