So I had a little mishap to clean up today. The Skerry comes with a half cut hole in the forward frame for an offset deck hatch. I opened up the hole a few days ago before thinking about speaker layout. After the electrical test I decided to mount both speakers in the forward frame. Because the deck hatch and the speaker have a different diameter, the existing hole wouldn’t work. It was also not symmetrical with the starboard speaker. I opened up the hole where it was supposed to go then used some spare plywood, a jig saw, and my router to make a plug for the rest of the hole. When sized appropriately, I glued it in with silica thickened epoxy. When this cures, I will fill in the gaps with wood flour thickened epoxy. While this may be a little bit unsightly, it will be out of normal view in the completed boat as it is under the forward seat overhang. I plan to relocate the hatch to the top of the seat. I will also be using a hatch that is 2″ larger so I have better access to the waterproof compartment.
Time Spent: 1.5 Hours
Total Time In Build: 98.5 Hours