Forward Breasthook and Oarlock Supports

Posted by Zachary Wiest in Epoxy, Modifications, Tools, Woodworking

This morning I cut the forward breasthook to accommodate for my modified rails.  Once it was to shape I used epoxy thickened with silica to glue it in place.  Eight screws countersunk in the rails ensure it has sufficient strength.

I also continued work on my rails by gluing 4″ pieces of rail material inside the hull which will act as oarlock supports for the fore and aft rowing stations.  These supports are also reinforced to the rail with two countersunk screws each.  I messed up when drilling one of the pilot holes.  It wasn’t deep enough and when I ran the screw it, the wooden support split at the end.  This isn’t a big deal.  The split will be filled with epoxy to prevent water intrusion and the whole thing will be hidden inside the rail anyway.

Time Spent: 1.5 Hours

Total Time In Build: 82.0 Hours

Leave a Reply

the rank way