It Looks Like a Boat! Hull Stitching Complete!

Posted by Zachary Wiest in Mishaps, Sanding, Stitching, Tools, Woodworking

Neighbors are starting to peek in the garage, joggers are stopping as they run by, and I can’t help but go into the garage every hour or so to look at my creation.  Today I finished stitching the hull and it actually looks like I have a boat sitting in the garage!  It is really exciting.

I am going to keep the post short since I am tired.  I will let the pictures do the talking but I want to speak to a little mishap that scared me and a couple things I learned.

  • The first panel I installed today was the port #2.  When I did, it was about 1/2″ shorter than the number #1 at the stern.  I went ahead and installed the starboard panel and saw the same problem.  I recalled a few other blogs where this had happened, so I wasn’t too shocked.  What I elected to do was use my bonsai saw to remove 1/2″ off the #1 panels and generate a fair curve with the #2s using a hand sanding block.  It looks good to me, so I am happy.
  • My thumbs and index fingers are raw!  Feeding and twisting copper wire for hours with bare wire takes its toll!  I tried using gloves but they proved nearly impossible to use.  With them I wasn’t able to pick up new wires nor  initiate a twist with the desired tension.
  • I ran out of the 18 gauge copper wire that was supplied with the kit,  This is due to wasting a ton of it by removing my incorrectly installed #1 panels.  I have also been cutting my pieces to 3.5″ rather than the suggested 3″.  I couldn’t find replacement 18 gauge wire locally, but I did find 20 gauge at Michael’s craft store.  I think I may actually like this gauge better.  It is easier to work with and seams to bare nearly the same load.
  • The vice grips are an essential tool when stitching, especially in the completion of the frame stitching.  Due to the sharp angles and tight working area, the vice grips helped me pull wire through rather than feed it through with my fingers.  They also work great for tightening up hand twisted wire.

Enjoy the pictures!  You will notice that when I finished the stitching I dry fit the daggerboard trunk, breasthooks, and seats.  They are not attached and will be removed before inverting the boat for the next step.

Time Spent: 5.0 Hours

Total Time In Build: 22.5 Hours

One comment

  1. Andy Johnstone

    Zach, I have just hit this stage of the build and come across the same issue, my number 2 panels are about 3/8″ too short at the stern. My bottom panel s only very loosely wired at this stage, so tightening things up may resolve the issue, but like you, I may also have to resort to the saw if I cannot fix he issue!

Leave a Reply